South Korea church hit by COVID-19 says members to give plasma for research

SEOUL (Reuters) - Around 4,000 recovered COVID-19 patients from a religious group at the centre of South Korea’s largest outbreak will donate plasma for research, an official said on Tuesday, a day after local officials filed a lawsuit against the church.

In February and March, a massive outbreak among members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus made South Korea the scene of the first large outbreak outside of China.

At least 5,213 of the country’s total 12,484 cases have been linked to the church outbreak, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

Church founder Lee Man-hee had internally advised recovered members to donate their plasma, which is badly needed for coronavirus research, Shincheonji media coordinator Kim Young-eun told Reuters on Tuesday.

Many of recovered church members wanted to donate to express thanks to the government and medical staff, she said.

The city of Daegu - where most of the church infections were centred - filed a civil lawsuit against the church on Monday, seeking 100 billion won ($82.75 million) in damages.

Daegu authorities had previously filed a complaint against the church accusing it of not submitting a full list of members and facilities, and not cooperating with city health efforts.

Shincheonji says it fully complied with government efforts.

The National Institute of Health said 185 people have so far come forward to donate plasma as of Monday and said they were in talks with Shincheonji for donations.

South Korea health officials have said that in the absence of other treatments or vaccines, plasma therapy may be a way to lower the death rate, especially in critical patients.

At least 17 South Koreans have received the experimental therapy, which involves using plasma from recovered patients with antibodies to the virus, enabling the body to defend against the disease.

South Korea has reported 281 deaths from COVID-19.

Health authorities said they were testing 176 people who came into contact with crew members on a Russian fishing vessel docked at Busan after 16 aboard the vessel were tested positive.

 

 

 

Read more...

Armata spaniolă a găsit bătrâni 'morţi şi abandonaţi' în paturile lor

Militarii trimişi pentru a ajuta Spania la combată pandemia de coronavirus prin dezinfectarea şi verificarea locuinţelor au găsit un număr de persoane în vârstă abandonate şi moarte în paturile lor, potrivit ministrului Apărării, scrie The Guardian, potrivit Mediafax, citat de Știripesurse.ro.

Ştirile legate de descoperirile sumbre au apărut pe măsură ce Spania a înregistrat o nouă creştere a numărului de decese şi cazuri de coronavirus, iar autorităţile medicale au stabilit distribuirea a aproape 650.000 de kituri de testare rapidă.

Luni, ministrul Apărării, Margarita Robles, a declarat că membrii Unităţii de Urgenţe Militare specializate au găsit cadavrele în timpul îndeplinirii sarcinilor.

„În timpul vizitelor sale, armata a găsit câţiva oameni în vârstă total abandonaţi - chiar şi unii care erau morţi în paturile lor”, a declarat Robles pentru programul Ana Rosa TV.

Robles a spus că un astfel de tratament inuman nu va fi tolerat şi că oricine îşi ignoră responsabilităţile va fi urmărit penal.

„Vom fi foarte fermit şi implacabili în acest sens şi avem un mesaj foarte clar: întreaga forţă a legii va cădea asupra celor care nu îşi îndeplinesc obligaţiile”, a adăugat ea.

Virusul a luat până acum 2.182 de vieţi în Spania- până la 1.720 duminică - în timp ce numărul de cazuri confirmate a crescut de la 28.572 la 33.089.

Știripesurse.ro

 

 

 

 

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed